Pfizer’s anti-seizure medication Dilantin (phenytoin) can cause the devastating neurological condition cerebellar atrophy, and phenytoin’s link to an increased risk of developing cerebellar atrophy has been known since 1938. Pfizer’s label for Dilantin did not even mention cerebellar atrophy until 2016, despite the link being known since 1938.
You may be entitled to a financial recovery if you or a loved one was diagnosed with cerebellar atrophy after taking Dilantin. We believe that Pfizer failed to adequately warn consumers of its drug’s cerebellar atrophy risk despite knowing of the risk for 78 years. Contact us now for a free and confidential case evaluation by calling 1-800-718-4658.
What Is Cerebellar Atrophy?
Cerebellar atrophy is a condition that causes neurons in the cerebellum to die. The disease affects coordination, motor function, the ability to speak and memory.
Cerebellar Atrophy Symptoms
- An unsteady, lurching walk with a wide base
- Back and forth tremor in the torso region, affecting gait
- Other abnormalities of balance, gait, posture and walking
- Difficulty swallowing and speaking
- Slurred and slowed speech
- Unsteady, jerky and slow arm and leg movements
- Repetitive, uncontrolled movements of the eyes
- Vision abnormalities
- Problems with fine motor coordination
- Difficulties with cognition and mood/emotions
For a free legal consultation with a cerebellar atrophy lawsuit in california lawyer serving California, call (800) 718-4658
Phenytoin Use Linked To Cerebellar Atrophy
Dilantin can cause cerebellar atrophy because it increases gammaaminobutyric acid (GABA) concentration in the brain. Repetitive doses of Dilantin can over stimulate Purkinje cells, a type of neuron which produces GABA. This overstimulation kills the Purkinje cells.
Phenytoin has been linked to cerebellar atrophy since 1938, when an increased risk of developing cerebellar atrophy was linked to phenytoin use in patients with pre-existing brain injuries, the intellectually disabled and children. Pfizer’s Dilantin label, to this day, does not mention an increased risk of developing cerebellar atrophy for any subpopulation of Dilantin users, and the label didn’t even mention the debilitating disease until 2016.
Please contact the Phenytoin lawsuit attorneys of Nadrich & Cohen now for a free and confidential consultation if you or a loved one was diagnosed with cerebellar atrophy following Dilantin or Phenytoin use. Call us today at 1-800-718-4658.
Studies Linking Phenytoin Use To Cerebellar Atrophy
The link between Dilantin (phenytoin) and cerebellar atrophy has been studied extensively for over 60 years. A samling of studies demonstrating the link between phenytoin and this condition, include:
- Cerebellar lesions after parenteral dilantin administration, Hofmann, 1958. A post-mortem exam in this study demonstrated evidence of cerebellar atrophy resulting from phenytoin use; other causes were ruled out;
- Phenytoin-related cerebellar degeneration without seizures, Rapport, 1977. A post-mortem exam in this study confirmed cerebellar atrophy after six weeks of exposure to therapeutic range doses of phenytoin;
- Cerebellar atrophy in epileptic patients, Botez, 1988. CT scans confirmed cerebellar atrophy one month after beginning use of phenytoin.
- A case of cerebellar atrophy after phenytoin intoxication: Neurologic, neuroradiologic, and neuropsychological findings, Pulliainen, 1998. CT scan showed severe cerebellar atrophy resulting from 90 days of exposure to therapeutic doses of phenytoin;
- Residual cerebellar ataxia following acute phenytoin intoxication, Awada, 1999. Showed mild cerebellar atrophy after 10 days of phenytoin use.
California Cerebellar Atrophy Lawsuit in California Lawyer Near Me (800) 718-4658
Dilantin Side Effects Lawsuits
An Arizona woman filed a lawsuit against Pfizer in May 2019, alleging that Dilantin, which also causes the serious skin condition Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, caused her cerebellar atrophy and that Pfizer not only failed to warn consumers about the risk, but also intentionally covered up study results demonstrating the link between Dilantin and cerebellar atrophy.
You may be entitled to a financial recovery if you or a loved one developed cerebellar atrophy after taking Dilantin or phenytoin. Call us at 1-800-718-4658 for a free case evaluation, use the live chat or complete the confidential “Do I Have A Claim?” form on this page.
Contingency Fee Attorneys – – No Upfront Cost To You!
You will never owe us a dime out of your own pocket, since we are contingency attorneys. We only collect a fee for our services, if a recovery is made. There is no upfront charge to you, and there is no charge to you at all if we don’t obtain a recovery.
You can feel safe that your case is in good hands. The attorneys at Nadrich & Cohen possess over 70 years combined experience practicing law. Our legal teams know how to get the best possible recovery for you. Our team of dangerous drug attorneys have recovered over $350,000,000 on behalf of clients since 1990. “The client always comes first” is our founding principle. Our patient and attentive staff will always return your calls and answer all of your questions in a prompt, caring manner.
Free Dilantin Side Effect Claim Evaluation
Call our Dilantin Lawsuit Attorneys today for a free Dilantin case evaluation. If you or a loved one was diagnosed with Cerebellar Atrophy after using Dilantin or phenytoin, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Call us now at 1-800-718-4658, use the live chat or complete the contact form on this page.