Nadrich & Cohen is currently retaining serotonin syndrome victims.
It has long been known that certain drugs or drug interactions can cause serotonin syndrome, which can lead to serious symptoms such as kidney failure, shock or even death. However, sometimes pharmaceutical companies fail to warn about drug interactions on their labeling, and this exposes them to liability.
Call us now at 800-718-4658 if you or a loved one suffered from serotonin syndrome after taking a medication or combination of medications. You may be eligible for financial compensation. We won’t charge a fee unless we obtain a recovery for you.
How We Can Obtain Compensation For Your Serotonin Syndrome
We may be able to obtain a financial recovery based on numerous causes of action in a serotonin syndrome lawsuit, including:
Strict Liability – Failure To Warn
Strict liability – failure to warn can be the grounds for a serotonin syndrome lawsuit. FDA guidance says that companies, in their drug labeling, should “briefly describe any known or predicted drug interactions with serious or otherwise clinically significant outcomes and cross-reference to any more detailed information elsewhere in the labeling.”
The potential for serotonin syndrome to result from taking drugs or combinations of drugs has long been known. For example, the FDA, in 2011, warned about the potential for serotonin syndrome associated with drug interactions involving methylene blue, and warned in 2016 that opioids can cause serotonin syndrome by interacting with antidepressants and migraine medications.
We can hold companies liable for any injuries or other damages caused by serotonin syndrome if they knew or should have known that their drugs could cause serotonin syndrome alone or in combination with another drug and failed to warn about it.
Acting and failing to act can both be negligent. Failing to act when a reasonably careful person would act to prevent harm is negligence. A reasonably careful entity would warn on the product labeling about the risk of serotonin syndrome associated with their product when used alone or in combination with another product if they knew or should have known about that risk.
For a free legal consultation with a serotonin syndrome lawsuits in california lawyer serving California, call (800) 718-4658
What Drugs Cause Serotonin Syndrome?
The most common cause of serotonin syndrome, according to The Ochsner Journal, is a combination of a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) and a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI).
SSRIs known to cause serotonin syndrome by inhibiting serotonin uptake include:
- Citalopram (Celexa)
- Escitalopram (Lexapro)
- Fluoxetine (Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Sarafem)
- Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
- Paroxetine (Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva)
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
MAOIs known to cause serotonin syndrome by inhibiting serotonin metabolism include:
- Furazolidone (Furoxone, Dependal-M)
- Isocarboxazid (Marplan)
- Linezolid (Zyvox)
- Methylene blue (methylthioninium chloride, Urelene blue, Provayblue, Proveblue)
- Phenelzine (Nardil)
- Tranylcypromine (Parnate)
However, there are many other drugs known to cause serotonin syndrome. They include phentermine, bupropion, nefazodone, trazodone, granisetron, ondansetron, chlorpheniramine, levomethorphan, levorphanol, meperidine, methadone, pentazocine, pethidine, tapentadol, tramadol, cocaine, MDMA (ecstasy), St. John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum), dextromethorphan, desvenlafaxine, duloxetine, venlafaxine, amitriptyline, amoxapine, clomipramine, desipramine, doxepin, imipramine, maprotiline, nortriptyline, protriptyline, trimipramine, buspirone, almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan, phentermine, L-tryptophan, mirtazapine, phentermine, meperidine, oxycodone, tramadol, L-dopa, dihydroergotamine, triptans, fentanyl, meperidine, LSD, lithium, metoclopramide, risperidone, ciprofloxacin, ritonavir and fluconazole.
Drug combinations known to cause serotonin syndrome include:
- MAOIs with SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs or opiates
- Methylene blue with paroxetine or clomipramine
- Phenelzine with meperidine
- Tranylcypromine and imipramine
- SSRIs with MAOIs, SNRIs, TCAs, opiates or triptans
- Fluoxetine with carbamazepine, phentermine or fentanyl
- SNRIs with MAOIs, TCAs, opiates or triptans
- Venlafaxine with lithium or calcineurin inhibitors
- Venlafaxine with mirtazapine and tramadol
- Venlafaxine with amitriptyline and meperidine
- Venlafaxine with mirtazapine or tranylcypromine
- Venlafaxine with methadone and fluoxetine
- Venlafaxine with methadone and sertraline
- Venlafaxine with tramadol and trazodone and quetiapine
- Buspirone with SSRIs
- Mirtazapine with SSRIs
- Trazodone with amitriptyline and lithium
- Opiates with MAOIs, SSRIs, SNRIs or triptans
- Tramadol with mirtazapine and olanzapine
- Dextromethorphan with SSRIs, amitriptyline or chlorpheniramine
- Dextromethorphan with risperidone and amitriptyline
- Olanzapine with lithium and citalopram
- Risperidone with fluoxetine or paroxetine
- Ciproflaxin with venlafaxine and methadone
- Fluconazole with citalopram
- Linezolid with SSRIs or tapentadol
- L-tryptophan with SSRIs
California Serotonin Syndrome Lawsuits in California Lawyer Near Me (800) 718-4658
What Are The Symptoms Of Serotonin Syndrome?
Symptoms of serotonin syndrome, according to The Ochsner Journal and Mayo Clinic, include:
- Restlessness or agitation
- High blood pressure and fast heart rate
- Being confused
- Pupil dilation
- Rigid muscles
- Twitching muscles or loss of muscle coordination
- Heavy sweating
- Hyperactive bowel sounds
Symptoms of severe serotonin syndrome include:
- High fever
- Irregular heartbeat
- Kidney failure
- Respiratory failure
Serotonin Syndrome Lawyers
We have been representing victims of dangerous drugs since 1990 so we are the experts in holding pharmaceutical companies responsible for failing to warn consumers about the dangers associated with their medications. We have recovered over $350,000,000 on behalf of clients in that time because we know the ins and outs of holding companies accountable for their negligence.
We will not charge you a fee for our services until and unless we obtain financial compensation for you. Our only fee, in that circumstance, will be a percentage of your compensation.
Call us now at 800-718-4658 for a free consultation if you or a loved one suffered from serotonin syndrome. You can also email us at email@example.com, talk with a live chat representative or complete our “Do I Have A Case” form.