NuVasive MAGEC rods are used to treat early-onset scoliosis in children. However, serious complications have been reported with the use of these rods. You may be entitled to financial compensation if you or a loved one suffered complications after the implantation of NuVasive MAGEC rods.
Treatment of early-onset scoliosis has traditionally involved multiple surgeries to lengthen rods as children grow. NuVasive MAGEC rods are magnetic and are supposed to lengthen externally using a magnetic remote control without the need for revision surgery. Unfortunately, due to the defects with the device, revision surgeries can be required to alleviate complications from the defective rods.
The defective medical device lawyers of Nadrich & Cohen are investigating NuVasive Magec rod failure claims. If you or a loved one developed complications after rod implantation, immediately contact us for a free, confidential consultation by calling 800-718-4658, using the live chat feature, or completing the form on this page.
MAGEC Rod Complications
Metallosis has been reported as a complication resulting from the use of NuVasive MAGEC rods. Metallosis occurs when metal debris accumulates in the soft tissues of the human body, and can cause a wide variety of serious side effects. This metal toxicity can cause serious and debilitating symptoms.
Cobalt poisoning, in particular, can cause skin rashes, diseases of the heart, hearing problems, problems with eyesight or cognition, hypothyroidism and tremors.
Symptoms Of Metallosis
- Severe pain
- Inflammation and swelling
- Deterioration of bone
- Aseptic fibrosis
- Local tissue necrosis
- Emotional disturbance
- Recurring infection
NuVasive MAGEC Complications
- Rod fractures
- Rod corrosion
- Rod loosening
- Necrosis of tissue
- Endcap separation
- Skin discoloration
- Drive pin fracture
- O-ring seal failure
- Rod fails to lengthen as intended
- Exposure of internal components to living tissue
What Devices Are Affected?
For a free legal consultation with a nuvasive magec lawsuits in california lawyer serving California, call (800) 718-4658
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned the public on July 15, 2021 about potential mechanical failures and biocompatibility concerns relating to the following NuVasive MAGEC devices:
- MAGEC Spinal Bracing and Distraction System
- MAGEC 2 Spinal Bracing and Distraction System
- MAGEC System
- MAGEC System Model X device
- MAGEC System Model X rod
- MAGEC System Rods
Even though the purpose of the NuVasive MAGEC magnetic lengthening rods is to reduce the need for revision surgeries, revision surgeries are often required if the device fails, fractures or the patient develops metallosis.
California NuVasive MAGEC Lawsuits in California Lawyer Near Me (800) 718-4658
Contact the NuVasive Magec Lawyers of Nadrich & Cohen today if you or a loved one have required a revision procedure or experienced complications following implantation of the NuVasive Magec rods and system. We provide a free and confidential consultation. Call us today at 800-718-4658 to see if you have a claim.
What Are Biocompatibility Concerns?
The biocompatibility of implantable devices like the NuVasive MAGEC rods is essentially their ability to remain in the human body, in contact with human tissue, safely, without interacting with the tissue in harmful ways.
Medical devices designed to contact the human body must go through biocompatibility testing to determine if they are safe and if their use comes with adverse event or serious complication risks.
What Health Problems Can Biocompatibility Issues Lead To?
Medical devices which are not biocompatible with the human body can cause numerous complications, including:
- Bone problems
- Developmental issues
- Skin irritation
- Reproductive issues
- Tissue damage
- Tissue discoloration
Can I File A NuVasive MAGEC Lawsuit?
California law holds manufacturers of defective medical devices liable for any injuries or damages caused by the devices. You may be eligible to file a NuVasive MAGEC lawsuit if your child:
- Received a MAGEC device implantation
- Was under 10 years old when the implantation occurred
- Received the implantation on or after September 1, 2014
Call us today at 800-718-4658 to find out if you might have a case if you’re not sure if this applies to you.
NuVasive MAGEC Studies
The side effects and complications related to NuVasive MAGEC rods have been well- documented by several studies:
- A 2016 study documented eight children, who had NuVasive MAGEC rods implanted in them, for 44 months. Six of the eight children in the study required revision surgeries, despite claims that the rods reduce the need for revision surgeries. Two of the children suffered total device fractures, and a third child’s device failed due to a malfunctioning component. Another child’s rod failed to lengthen.
- Two patients in another 2016 study experienced rod failure, where the rod failed to lengthen as intended. Another patient in this study suffered a rod fracture.
- A 2017 study involved three rods with a fractured pin. Researchers determined that the pin fractures were caused by corrosion, and theorized that MAGEC rods which fail to lengthen may fail to lengthen because corrosive debris builds up inside the rods, clogging them and prevents them from lengthening.
- Another 2017 study noted that recent implant failure reports “may be associated with significant metallosis surrounding the implants.”
- A 2018 study analyzed 34 MAGEC rods which were explanted from children and found titanium wear debris inside all of them. 91% of the rods showed measurable wear to the extending bar toward the magnet end. About 75% of the rods had substantial damage to the radial bearing, about 50% of the rods suffered O-ring failure and 44% of the rods had a fractured drive pin.
NuVasive MAGEC Lawsuit Attorneys
Your NuVasive MAGEC claim is in the best possible hands with Nadrich & Cohen and its legal teams. Our attorneys are strong, battle-tested lawyers who will tirelessly fight for every penny you deserve for your child’s injuries. Our NuVasive MAGEC lawsuit attorneys will fight to obtain the best possible recovery for you. Our lawyers have recovered over $350,000,000 on behalf of clients.
Complete a free case evaluation form now
We are the experts in defective medical device cases. Nadrich & Cohen and its legal teams have successfully represented thousands of defective medical device victims over the last 30 years. We pride ourselves on obtaining exceptional results for clients, and providing responsive and personalized customer service.
Request A Free Consultation Now
You may be eligible for financial compensation in a lawsuit if you or a loved one suffered complications from a NuVasive MAGEC implantation, so call 800-718-4658 today for a free and confidential consultation or text us from this page.