2022 Bair Hugger Lawsuit
Nadrich & Cohen is actively retaining victims of the 3M Bair Hugger Warming Blanket. A judge has recently reinstated 5,000+ Bair Hugger lawsuits in multidistrict litigation.
Warming surgery patients significantly decreases the risk that their surgical sites will be infected. However, lawsuits allege that the Bair Hugger system actually does the opposite.
The lawsuits claim that the device effectively blows bacteria off of the floor of the surgery room up and into patients’ open surgical wounds, causing deep joint infections during hip or knee replacement surgeries.
Bair Hugger lawsuits have alleged that the Bair Hugger Warming Blanket has caused infections leading to:
- The need for additional surgery
Call us today at 800-718-4658 for a free consultation if you or a loved one developed an infection after a Bair Hugger system was used in a knee or hip replacement surgery. We won’t charge a fee if we don’t obtain a recovery for you.
It’s not too late to make a claim. Call us now. Time is limited.
You May Be Eligible for Compensation Following a Bair Hugger Injury
If you or a loved one was injured by a 3M Bair Hugger Warming Blanket, you may be eligible for financial compensation in a Bair Hugger lawsuit for your medical bills, pain, suffering, lost wages, and more. However, you’ll need experienced defective medical device lawyers by your side if you want to recover all the compensation you’re entitled to under the law.
Nadrich & Cohen has been representing victims of defective medical devices, such as the Bair Hugger Warming Blanket and Philips CPAP devices, since 1990, and we have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients in that time.
3M knew or should have known their Bair Hugger devices were dangerous, yet failed to warn the public about it, and we have the experience and expertise to hold them accountable for this failure.
Compensation Available in a Bair Hugger Lawsuit
If you qualify for a Bair Hugger lawsuit, we might be able to assist you in obtaining financial compensation for:
- Medical bills, both past and future
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Bair Hugger Infections
The Bair Hugger is composed of a portable blower/heater that is connected to a disposable blanket by a flexible hose. The blanket is positioned over or under surgery patients. The system is designed to warm surgery patients by blowing hot air on their exposed skin.
However, lawsuits allege that the Bair Hugger produces hot air that accumulates under the patient’s surgical drape, escapes from under the drape, and creates currents of airflow that flow against the operating room’s downward airflow.
Lawsuits allege that this warmed air then rises and deposits bacteria from the surgery room floor into the open surgical wound, potentially causing infections.
Several studies have warned about this possibility:
- A 2009 study found that forced-air warming blowers such as the Bair Hugger had designs that were “questionable” for preventing airborne contamination from being emitted into the surgery room. The study found that it was conceivable that these blowers could emit bacteria and fungi which would settle into the open surgical wound.
- A 2011 study found that deep joint infection rates increased significantly when forced-air warming was used in surgeries instead of conductive fabric warming.
- A 2012 study found that forced-air warming led to a significant increase of particles over the surgical wound when compared to radiant warming.
- Another 2012 study found that forced-air warming created “convection current activity” in surgery rooms, leading to concern that the currents might disrupt airflows that are meant to keep airborne contaminants away from the surgical wound.
California law allows for those injured by defective medical devices to obtain financial compensation for their injuries when device manufacturers should know, due to scientific knowledge such as the above studies, that their products could be dangerous, yet fail to warn about the danger.
Surgery Infection Symptoms and Complications
The symptoms of a post-surgery infection include:
- Night sweats, chills, and fevers
- Increased stiffness or pain
- Wound drainage
- Redness and warmth around the wound
Deep joint infections may lead to numerous complications, such as:
- Prolonged or multiple hospital visits
- The need for additional surgery
- The need for extensive physical therapy
- The need for treatment with antibiotics
If you suspect a post-surgery infection, a quick diagnosis and the right treatment increase the chances that you will fully recover. If you have infection symptoms, you should contact your healthcare provider immediately and seek care, then contact experienced defective medical device lawyers like Nadrich & Cohen, who can discuss your legal options.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I Have a Valid Bair Hugger Lawsuit?
You may qualify for financial compensation in a Bair Hugger lawsuit if:
- You underwent joint replacement surgery and a Bair Hugger was used in the surgery
- You developed a hospital-acquired deep joint infection less than 60 days after the surgery
Reach out to us if you are unsure if you have a valid Bair Hugger lawsuit. Our experienced Bair Hugger lawyers can review your circumstances and determine if you qualify to pursue a financial recovery.
Were the Bair Hugger Lawsuits Dismissed?
While the 5,000+ Bair Hugger lawsuits in multidistrict litigation were dismissed by a judge in 2019, a judge reinstated the lawsuits in January 2022, ruling that the judge who dismissed the lawsuits wrongfully excluded expert testimony that supported the claims of the plaintiffs.
How Much Do Bair Hugger Attorneys Cost?
Our only fee is a percentage of any recovery we obtain for our clients, and we don’t charge a fee unless and until we obtain a recovery. This means you will never owe us anything out of pocket, so you have nothing to lose by calling us for a free consultation if you or a loved one developed an infection after having a knee or hip replacement surgery involving a Bair Hugger blanket.
Contact the 3M Bair Hugger Lawsuit Lawyers at Nadrich & Cohen
Call us today at 800-718-4658, contact us online, or text us from this page for a free consultation if you or a loved one has developed an infection after a 3M Bair Hugger Warming Blanket was used during a hip or knee replacement surgery. We won’t charge a fee to represent you unless and until we obtain financial compensation for you.