Paraquat is a very popular herbicide because it is cheap and effective. An estimated 10,000,000 pounds of paraquat are sprayed in the United States every year.
However, several scientific studies and analyses have linked paraquat exposure with PD:
- A 1999 study found that paraquat exposure causes the loss of dopaminergic neurons, which are neurons that can cause PD when they die.
- A 2004 study found that paraquat induces oxidative stress and neuronal cell death, both of which can lead to PD.
- A 2009 study found that paraquat exposure more than doubles one’s risk of developing PD.
- Another 2009 study also found that paraquat exposure more than doubles one’s risk of developing PD.
- A 2011 study found that those exposed to paraquat were 2.5 times more likely to develop PD than those who were not.
- A 2012 study found that the risk of developing PD after paraquat exposure is particularly high in people who lack a specific gene.
- A 2013 meta-analysis found that those exposed to paraquat were two times more likely to develop PD than those who were not.
- A 2016 study found that PD rates in the Netherlands decreased following a paraquat ban.
- A 2017 study found that paraquat exposure is associated with neurodegenerative effects which can cause PD.
- A 2017 study found that paraquat exposure is associated with 1.54 times the risk of developing PD.
- A 2018 study found that paraquat had neurotoxic effects on brain neurons which can cause Parkinson’s disease when they die.
- A 2019 meta-analysis found that PD occurrence was 25 percent higher in those exposed to paraquat.
- A 2019 meta-analysis found that those who are exposed to paraquat are 1.64 times more likely to end up with PD than those who are not.
- Researchers found in 2020 that paraquat was used in regions with high rates of PD in Louisiana.
- A 2020 study found that paraquat inhalation led to a known feature of PD.
Dr. Samuel M. Goldman, a San Francisco Veterans Affairs epidemiologist, told The New York Times that “the data is overwhelming” linking PD with paraquat.
Freya Kamel, a National Institutes of Health scientist, told The Times that the considerable research into paraquat and its link with PD is “about as persuasive as these things can get.”
Numerous lawsuits now accuse paraquat manufacturers of knowing about the herbicide’s link with PD but failing to warn the public about it.
How Paraquat May Cause Parkinson’s Disease
The symptoms of Parkinson’s disease can be caused by the degeneration and death of dopaminergic neurons in a section of the brain which is known as the substantia nigra pars compacta (SNpc).
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter. Neurotransmitters are chemical messengers that transmit signals from neurons to other neurons, gland cells, or muscle cells. The brain needs dopamine to control motor function.
When dopaminergic neurons in the SNpc die, the brain produces less dopamine. Dopaminergic neurons do not grow back once they die. When too many of these neurons die, the brain no longer produces enough dopamine for proper motor function control. The motor symptoms of PD are the result of the death of these neurons.
The presence of Lewy bodies, which are insoluble aggregates of the protein known as alpha-synuclein, in dopaminergic neurons is also associated with PD.
Dopaminergic neurons are extremely vulnerable to oxidative stress. Oxidative stress can cause both the death of dopaminergic neurons and the accumulation of Lewy bodies in dopaminergic neurons.
Paraquat works as an herbicide by inhibiting photosynthesis. It does this by creating reactive oxygen species that induce oxidative stress. However, paraquat can also cause oxidative stress in animal cells as well, and it can do so indefinitely in the presence of oxygen when it undergoes a repeating cycle known as redox cycling.
Paraquat exposure can lead to paraquat ending up in the human brain, where oxygen is plentiful. There, paraquat may undergo redox cycling, constantly and indefinitely producing reactive oxygen species which cause oxidative stress in dopaminergic neurons, killing the neurons.
Lawsuits allege that paraquat manufacturers knew or should have known that paraquat can cause Parkinson’s disease, but failed to warn the public about this risk. California law allows those injured by products to recover financial compensation for their injuries from the manufacturers of the products when the manufacturers know their products are dangerous but fail to warn about them.
In fact, lawsuits allege that science has known about paraquat’s redox properties since the 1930s and has known that these redox properties make paraquat toxic to humans since the 1960s.
Lawsuits also allege that paraquat is defective by design, as it can cause PD even when manufactured and used correctly. California law allows those injured by products to obtain financial recovery from the products’ manufacturers when the products are defective by design.
Lawsuits also claim that paraquat manufacturers’ negligence has caused people to develop PD after being exposed to paraquat. California Civil Code §1714 allows those injured via negligence to recover damages for their injuries from the negligent parties.
What Can Be Recovered in a Paraquat Lawsuit?
If you have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease after being exposed to paraquat, you may be wondering what you can be financially compensated for in a paraquat lawsuit.
You may be entitled to financial compensation for the following damages:
- Medical bills: PD is, unfortunately, a progressive, incurable disease. The disease only gets worse over time. This means a lifetime of treatment and a lifetime of medical bills for the unfortunate sufferers of PD. You may be eligible to recover financial compensation for all past medical bills relating to your PD diagnosis, as well as all future medical bills that it can be reasonably estimated that you will incur as a result of your PD diagnosis.
- Lost wages: Your PD diagnosis may cause you to miss time from work. You may be eligible for financial compensation for any wages you were unable to earn because of your PD diagnosis.
- Loss of earning capacity: Your PD diagnosis may cause you to be unable to work for the rest of your life. You might qualify for financial compensation for the money you would have been able to earn in the future had you not been diagnosed with PD.
- Pain and suffering: PD, unfortunately, can be a terrible disease to live with. It can negatively affect even the most mundane everyday activities, such as eating and walking to the bathroom. While pain and suffering damages can be complicated to calculate since they are subjective, our expert paraquat lawyers can accurately calculate these damages for you so you can be fairly compensated for your pain and suffering in a paraquat lawsuit.
If you would like to know more about what you can be compensated for in a paraquat lawsuit or how much your case may be worth, get a free consultation with our product liability attorneys.
How Much Do Paraquat Lawyers Cost?
The paraquat attorneys at Nadrich & Cohen represent clients on a contingency fee basis. This means that the only fee that we charge our clients is a percentage of any financial compensation we obtain for them.
We do not charge this fee if we do not obtain a financial recovery. Therefore, it will cost you absolutely nothing out of pocket to have us represent you in a paraquat lawsuit, and we will put this in writing for you.
We provide absolutely free consultations with no upfront fees if you or a loved one was diagnosed with PD after being exposed to paraquat. We can file a paraquat lawsuit for you and obtain the financial compensation you deserve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Multiple scientific studies have linked paraquat exposure with an increased risk of developing Parkinson’s disease.
A paraquat settlement is a specified amount of money that a paraquat manufacturer agrees to pay someone who developed Parkinson’s disease after being exposed to paraquat.
A paraquat settlement will typically be offered after a plaintiff sues a paraquat manufacturer. The paraquat manufacturer will agree to pay the plaintiff a settlement out of court if they feel that they are likely to lose even more money by seeing the lawsuit to its conclusion.
The experienced paraquat attorneys at Nadrich & Cohen have a long, consistent track record of success representing injured victims of defective products and toxic exposure. Manufacturers of defective products know that it’s a waste of time and money to take us on in court because of this, so they almost always settle out of court with our clients.
Scientists think paraquat may cause Parkinson’s disease by inducing oxidative stress in dopaminergic neurons, which are neurons our brains need for motor control. The motor symptoms of Parkinson’s disease result when too many dopaminergic neurons die, and oxidative stress can cause these neurons to die.
A paraquat lawsuit is a legal claim accusing paraquat manufacturers of knowingly making and selling a defective, dangerous product that can cause Parkinson’s disease. A paraquat lawsuit will seek to recover damages from paraquat manufacturers for financial losses such as medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and loss of earning capacity.
A paraquat lawsuit can help those suffering from PD to recoup the financial losses caused by their PD diagnosis and hold paraquat manufacturers responsible for making and selling dangerous products.
Paraquat has been linked with Parkinson’s disease, and numerous lawsuits now accuse paraquat manufacturers of knowingly selling defective, dangerous products which can cause PD.
Paraquat is also incredibly toxic and can kill via paraquat poisoning. The lethal dose of paraquat is only two teaspoons.
Paraquat is extremely toxic. A mere 10 mL of paraquat can kill you.
Paraquat has also been linked by many scientific studies with Parkinson’s disease. PD led to about 117,400 deaths around the world in 2015.
The lethal dose of paraquat is about 10 mL, or about two teaspoons.
Paraquat can kill humans if it is ingested. It is extremely toxic. Paraquat has also been linked with Parkinson’s disease in humans by scientific studies.
Contact Nadrich & Cohen for Help Today
If you or a loved one developed PD after being exposed to paraquat, you may be unsure if you qualify to file a paraquat lawsuit. During a free consultation, we can let you know if you do. You may be entitled to financial recovery. We are actively representing those who have been diagnosed with PD after being exposed to paraquat.
Nadrich & Cohen have been representing victims of toxic exposure and defective products since 1990. And we have recovered over $350,000,000 on behalf of our clients since then. Our experienced, expert paraquat lawyers won’t charge a fee to represent you until and unless we obtain financial compensation for you.
We have the experience and expertise to hold paraquat manufacturers responsible for your PD diagnosis and obtain the largest possible financial recovery for you to compensate you for your injuries. Call us today or contact us online to get started on your paraquat lawsuit.