Did your loved one die in an accident caused by someone else’s negligent or intentional act? If so, a Fresno wrongful death lawyer with Nadrich & Cohen could help the legal beneficiaries seek compensation from the at-fault party. Unfortunately, wrongful death lawsuits can become complicated, so let our team help you seek the justice and compensation you deserve.
How Wrongful Death Claims Can Happen
Wrongful death claims arise when a close relative dies because of someone else’s wrongful act. The wrongful act could be intentional, such as a criminal act (e.g., homicide), or arise from an accident, such as a car collision or animal attack.
Any of these acts that result in someone’s death could prompt a wrongful death claim:
- Car accidents: If someone else caused the collision through carelessness—examples include speeding, reckless driving, or operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs—the decedent’s legal beneficiaries could pursue wrongful death compensation.
- Workplace accidents: Workers in specific industries, like construction and long-haul truckers, experience fatalities more regularly than others.
- Premises liability: Property owners owe guests a duty to keep their premises safe from hazards. Unfortunately, if someone dies because of an unsafe condition (for example, falling into an unsecured swimming pool and drowning), their loved ones could pursue a wrongful death claim.
- Product liability: Dangerous or defective products take innocent lives every day. If your loved one died because of injuries caused by a defective product, you could speak with a Fresno wrongful death lawyer.
- Negligent security: These situations often arise at hotels, other commercial establishments, and parking lots. When a business owner knows (or has reason to know) about unsafe conditions but fails to take reasonable measures to protect customers and the public from harm, you could hold the company liable.
- Criminal acts: Assaults and other crimes can result in civil wrongful death lawsuits as well as criminal charges.
These are a few examples of the many possible scenarios that could give rise to a wrongful death claim or lawsuit. If you have questions about whether your loved one’s death qualifies for a wrongful death action, we’ll be happy to talk to you and let you know if you might have a valid claim during a free case evaluation.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Fresno
California law limits who can participate in a wrongful death lawsuit. CCP § 377.60 says the deceased person’s personal representative can file a lawsuit seeking compensation for “the death caused by the wrongful act or neglect of another.” In addition, these family members also can bring legal action:
- Domestic partner
- “Issue of deceased children” (e.g., grandchildren)
Nadrich & Cohen Accident Injury Lawyers
For a deceased minor child, the parents or legal guardians might have a claim for wrongful death compensation. Finally, the decedent’s legal beneficiaries could take legal action for themselves.
Compensation Available in a Wrongful Death Claim
The damages you could recover in a wrongful death claim depend on several factors, including the decedent’s age and the circumstances of the fatal incident. However, here are some damages available to family members in a wrongful death lawsuit:
- Medical bills related to the incident
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship, support, and consortium
How Much Time You Have to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Fresno
California gives you little time to file a wrongful death lawsuit. CCP § 335.1 says the lawsuit must be filed within two years of the death. In addition, if the wrongful act of a municipality caused or contributed to the loss of life, you must file an administrative claim within six months.
Two years might seem like plenty of time, but when you’re grieving a loved one’s loss and still reeling from the shock of their death, time passes quickly. If you miss the filing deadline, California law could forever bar you from securing monetary damages from the person whose carelessness or other wrongful act took your family member’s life.
What Our Clients Say About Us
Just as you would check out a store or resort before going there, you can do the same about a law firm. If you want a Fresno wrongful death lawyer who will fight for you and your family to get the compensation you deserve, you can read the five-star Google reviews from our clients:
- “Their empathy, attention to detail and timely responses to my calls were all top-notch. They helped me through a terrible time after my accident. I would not hesitate to recommend them to family and friends.” — Elisenda S.
- “My experience with Nadrich & Cohen was incredible. I was lost after my terrible car accident and I didn’t know what I would have done without them. They were thorough, calming, reassuring and most of all the best advocates I could have asked for.” — Christopher F.
- “I chose to work with Nadrich and Cohen from a pool of four or five other personal injury lawyers that I interviewed. Choosing them to handle my accident case was the right choice. I wouldn’t hesitate to hire them again or to recommend them.” — Kathy T.
So, come find out for yourself how we can help with your wrongful death claim.
How a Fresno Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Help You and Your Family
At Nadrich & Cohen, it is our passion to help people when they need us the most. Thus, if you lost a close relative because of someone else’s wrongful act, we would like to help. In addition, if we take your case, we will do so on a contingency fee basis, meaning you do not pay any upfront legal fees. Instead, we only get paid if you recover compensation.
You can contact us for a free initial consultation to learn if you can hold the at-fault party accountable for taking your loved one’s life.