A car accident can turn your life upside down, especially if you suffered an injury. If you or a loved one were hurt in a collision on Nimitz Freeway, Mission Boulevard or another roadway in Hayward, you might qualify for compensation for your medical expenses and more.
If your accident was not your fault, a Hayward auto accident lawyer with Nadrich & Cohen could assist with an insurance claim or lawsuit against the liable driver. We will prove negligence, identify your damages and fight for the awards you need.
Call us today for a free consultation or text us from this page if you were injured in a car accident in Hayward. You may be eligible for financial compensation for your injuries, and we don’t charge a fee until and unless we obtain financial compensation for you.
Types of Car Accident Cases Our Law Firm Handles
According to the most recent annual report from the California Highway Patrol, there were 662 injury crashes and 12 fatal collisions in Hayward in 2017. An experienced car accident lawyer at our personal injury law firm can take action for personal injury or wrongful death resulting from:
- Passenger vehicle collisions
- Truck, bus and commercial vehicle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
- Accidents caused by a drunk driver
- Hit and run accidents
- Distracted driving
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end collisions
- Uber and Lyft accidents
- Bird scooter accidents
- “T-bone” or side-impact collisions
- Rollover accidents
- Single-vehicle collisions
Available Compensation in Car Accident Cases
Car accidents can leave victims with severe injuries and significant financial losses. We can recover monetary awards from the driver who caused your crash so that you and your family do not have to suffer further hardships due to medical bills, loss of income, and other accident-related expenses. A Hayward personal injury attorney at Nadrich & Cohen will seek a settlement or verdict for your:
- Medical treatment: Medical awards include your current healthcare expenses and compensation to pay for your expected future treatment. We can work with your doctor (with your permission) and other medical professionals to understand your ongoing care needs and how your injury may affect your life moving forward. We can recover the cost of emergency treatment, hospitalizations, rehabilitation, medical equipment, prescription drugs, and long-term nursing services.
- Pain and suffering: These damages compensate victims for severe physical injuries, mental and emotional suffering, and reduced quality of life. You may qualify for pain and suffering awards for depression, stress, scarring, disfigurement, loss of bodily function, paralysis, chronic pain, mental anguish, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Lost income, benefits, and earnings: We can recover wages, tips, bonuses, retirement income and other earnings lost due to your accident and recovery. For example, if you suffered a permanent or disabling injury that forces you to change jobs, reduce your work hours or leave the workforce, we could seek compensation for the loss of your earning capacity.
- Property damages: You can recover the cost of your vehicle repairs. If your damages are a total loss, we can seek awards for your car’s replacement value.
These damages may not encompass all your losses. We can help you identify additional awards, including the value of household services (childcare, lawn care, cleaning), medical travel expenses and the cost of home and vehicle modifications to accommodate your injuries.
California Wrongful Death Cases
If your loved one suffered a fatal car accident injury, you could seek compensation for their wrongful death. According to CACI No. 3921, qualifying family members can pursue recovery for:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of the deceased’s financial support
- The value of the deceased’s lost household services
- Loss of your family member’s love, companionship, guidance, and support
- Loss of consortium
Wrongful death awards do not include compensation for the deceased’s pain and suffering or surviving family members’ grief and mental anguish.
What If I Was Partially At Fault For An Accident?
You may still be eligible for financial compensation for all of the above if you were partially at fault for your car accident, as California is a pure comparative negligence state.
The way comparative negligence works in California is that the damages you can recover are reduced by your percentage of fault for an accident. Thus, if you are found to be 20 percent at fault for an accident and you suffered $100,000 in damages, you will be eligible to recover $80,000 in damages.
Nadrich & Cohen Accident Injury Lawyers
Hayward, CA 94545
Call Nadrich & Cohen today for a free consultation if you were injured in a car accident which was partially your fault. We have decades of experience in maximizing our clients’ recoveries by proving that other parties were primarily responsible for our clients’ accidents and reducing the percentage of fault assigned to our clients.
Our Attorneys Can File Your Car Accident Insurance Claim
California requires that all drivers carry automobile liability insurance to pay for accidents they cause. Motorists must have a minimum of $15,000 in coverage for injury or death to one person, $30,000 for injury or death per accident, and $5,000 for property damage.
However, the at-fault driver’s insurance company will not simply hand you a check. You will need to prove the other driver caused your injury, and even when the fault is clear-cut, they may still extend a low-ball offer.
In fact, if you aren’t represented by a personal injury lawyer, it is virtually guaranteed they will extend a low-ball offer to you. Insurance companies are legally obligated under California law to pay you for any damages, up to their policy limits, that the negligent drivers they represent caused you. However, insurance companies won’t commit to this legal obligation unless they respect your ability to sue them over a low-ball offer, and they will obviously not respect your ability to sue them and win if you don’t have a lawyer. Having an experienced attorney at Nadrich & Cohen file your personal injury claim gives you the best chance of recovering all of the compensation you’re entitled to for your injuries.
In addition, one of the worst things you can do after being injured in a car accident is talk to the other party’s insurance company. Insurance adjusters are actually trained to trick you into saying things they can exploit in order to reduce their payout to you or avoid paying you anything at all. It is vital for you to obtain the representation of an experienced car accident law firm like Nadrich & Cohen who can handle all correspondence with other parties’ insurance companies for you.
Our Hayward car accident attorneys can:
- Locate and interview eyewitnesses
- Collect medical records, police reports and other relevant documents
- Obtain available surveillance footage or cell phone video of your crash
- Photograph your injuries and vehicle damages
- Work with crash reconstruction experts
- File your claims, manage your paperwork, and follow deadlines
- Communicate with the insurance company on your behalf (protecting you from saying something they could use against you in the future)
- Aggressively negotiate for the highest settlement available in your case
What Should I Do After A Car Accident In Hayward?
- Move yourself and your vehicle to safety if you are capable and you can do so safely.
- Call 911 and report the car accident. You are legally obligated to do this if any injuries or deaths occurred, but there’s another reason to do this: police reports can be vital when it comes to getting maximum compensation for your injuries from an insurance company. You should request a copy of the police report.
- Tell officers at the scene of the accident about how you remember the accident occurring to the best of your ability.
- Get the contact information and insurance information of any driver involved in the accident. Get the contact information of any witness who saw the accident. Take pictures of the accident scene and any vehicles involved if you can do so safely.
- Receive medical attention as soon as you can. Injuries can be masked at the scene of an accident by adrenaline and endorphins. It’s common for injuries to not show symptoms for weeks or months after an accident. The problem is, if you wait months to get your injuries documented by a doctor, insurance companies can claim something other than your accident caused your injuries and refuse to pay you for your medical bills. See a doctor immediately even if you don’t think you’re hurt so any hidden injuries can be documented and insurance companies can’t get away with not paying you for your injuries.
- Hire Nadrich & Cohen so we can handle every aspect of your Hayward car accident claim or case.
What Shouldn’t I Do After An Accident?
- Don’t admit wrongdoing or fault. Don’t apologize. Apologizes can be interpreted as admitting fault for an accident.
- Don’t talk more than you need to at the scene of the accident. Keep conversation to the bare minimum necessary to explain the accident to officers, exchange contact information with other drivers, etc. It’s very easy to accidentally say something that incriminates you.
- Don’t delay seeking medical attention and don’t miss any follow-up medical appointments or treatments. Insurance companies will interpret you missing follow-ups as meaning your injuries aren’t actually that severe.
- Don’t talk with insurance companies until you have had a free consultation with Nadrich & Cohen. Let our experienced lawyers deal with the insurance companies for you while you focus on your recovery.
- Don’t accept any settlements without consulting with Nadrich & Cohen first.
California Law Limits Your Time to File a Car Accident Lawsuit
We may take your case to civil court to secure fair compensation. However, if legal action is necessary, you must file your wrongful death or personal injury lawsuit within two years of your accident or your loved one’s passing, according to CCP § 335.1.
Even if you feel confident your case will settle without legal action, you should get started on your claim right away. A delay may give the insurance company reason to allege your injury did not result from the car accident. Furthermore, if the statute of limitations expires before we reach an agreement, it could reduce your bargaining power.
What If My Accident Merely Aggravated An Existing Injury?
Personal injury claims and lawsuits are not just for those who develop new injuries due to a car accident. Those whose pre-existing injuries are aggravated by car accidents can also file a personal injury claim or lawsuit and seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering and more related to the aggravation of their pre-existing injury.
However, these cases can be very complex and difficult to prove. These are not cases that you want to be attempting to handle on your own. You need experienced lawyers who have been successfully handling these cases for decades like Nadrich & Cohen if you’ve had a pre-existing condition worsened by a car accident. Call us today for a free consultation so we can get started fighting for your right to be compensated for the aggravation of your pre-existing injury.
About Our Law Firm
In our 30-plus years of practice, our Hayward personal injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars for clients across California. Our car accident case results include:
- $1 million for the family of a mother of two adult children who was killed in a car accident on I-880
- $3.88 million for a victim involved in a highway accident with a Greyhound bus
- $750,000 for the family of a woman killed in a pedestrian accident
- $500,000 for a passenger vehicle occupant injured during a large truck accident
- $250,000 for a drunk driving accident victim
Fighting for justice for injury victims is what we do. So whether we need to take on a Fortune 500 company or a nationwide insurer, we will stand by your side.
Call Our Car Accident Attorneys in Hayward to Receive a Free Consultation Today
Call Nadrich & Cohen today to learn more about how our Hayward car accident lawyers can advocate for you. A member of our team can get you started with a free case evaluation. Then, if you work with us, we only collect a fee if and when we win your case.