The effects of paraquat exposure can include Parkinson’s disease, serious gastrointestinal symptoms and even fatal organ failure. You should see a medical professional right away if you believe you’ve been exposed to the chemical.
If you’ve already seen a medical professional about paraquat exposure, they may have diagnosed you with a long-term condition linked to exposure. One of our paraquat attorneys in California may be able to recover compensation for the effects you suffered.
The Effects of Paraquat Exposure
Paraquat (paraquat dichloride) is a toxic chemical used as an herbicide and weed killer. This chemical is often used annually on crops such as cotton, corn, and soybeans. As per the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), paraquat products are considered Restricted Use Products, meaning only certified pesticide applicators should apply the chemical.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the immediate symptoms of paraquat exposure can be:
- Pain and swelling in the throat and mouth
- Gastrointestinal (digestive tract) symptoms which may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea (which could contain blood), and/or abdominal pain
- Dehydration, electrolyte abnormalities, and/or low blood pressure caused by gastrointestinal issues
- Heart, liver, or kidney failure within several hours, days, or weeks
- Lung scarring within several days or weeks
- Confusion, fast heart rate, heart injury, muscle weakness, fluid in the lungs, seizures, coma, and breathing failure (which can result in death)
The long-term effects of paraquat exposure can be:
- Scarring of the esophagus
- Lung damage and scarring
- Kidney or heart failure
- Parkinson’s disease
Paraquat exposure can also cause death. This is especially true if it is accidentally ingested. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a single sip can be deadly.
Paraquat and Parkinson’s Disease
Some people believe they were diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease due to paraquat exposure. If you were diagnosed with Parkinson’s after using or being exposed to Paraquat, you should speak with your doctor and call us today for a free consultation, as you may be eligible for financial compensation.
How do You Know If You Were Exposed to Paraquat?
If you have any of the symptoms mentioned above, you may have been exposed to paraquat and should consult a medical professional. The professional may be able to attribute exposure to an occupation you had or a place you lived in.
Some groups of people may have been or may currently be at a greater risk of paraquat exposure. These groups are people who used to or currently:
- Farm or do other agriculture in or around an area where the product was used
- Landscape in or around an area where the product was used
- Spray, mix, load, or work near a paraquat product
- Manufacture products that may contain paraquat
- Work or live in a location that was exposed to a paraquat product
The following paraquat products and any similar products may cause serious or fatal injury:
- Gramoxone SL 2.0 herbicide
How do You Prove Paraquat Exposure?
A medical professional may be able to provide you with proof or evidence of paraquat exposure. This could be a medical diagnosis, your medical history, and a list of your symptoms.
You may also need proof that you worked with a paraquat product or lived or worked where a paraquat product was used. A California paraquat attorney from our firm may be able to help you find such proof.
Can You Sue for Paraquat Exposure?
You may be able to sue if your exposure to paraquat harmed you. One of our firm’s paraquat attorneys in California can file your lawsuit for you or help you participate in a class action lawsuit against a paraquat product manufacturer like Syngenta.
Your attorney can help you claim damages such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- A compromised quality of life
- Medical and related bills
- Wrongful death damages if a loved one lost their life due to paraquat exposure
Your attorney can also:
- Handle your case on a contingency-fee basis
- Refer you to a doctor who may be able to treat you further and even provide proof of paraquat exposure
- Help you find proof that you worked with, worked around, or lived around paraquat
- Help you identify possible damages
- Determine the monetary value of your non-financial damages
- Establish a fair settlement value for your case
- Establish the manufacturer’s liability for your case
- Negotiate your settlement with the product manufacturer’s insurer
- Take the other party to court and fight for a court verdict
Contact Nadrich & Cohen to Learn More
Our firm has been handling injury cases for many years, and to date, we’ve been able to recover over $350,000,000 for our clients. If you believe you may be suffering the effects of paraquat exposure, a lawyer from Nadrich & Cohen can help you fight for compensation.
Call us for a free consultation today so we can begin working on your case.