As of March of 2022, there were 16 bellwether cases and close to 700 lawsuits citing the link between the use of (or exposure to) paraquat and the development of Parkinson’s disease.
Additional updates in regard to paraquat lawsuits and potential settlements include the following:
- In May of 2022, six cases were selected to participate in bellwether trials.
- In May of 2022, the number of paraquat lawsuits increased by 35 to 1,150 plaintiffs.
- On May 11, Bayer filed an appeal citing the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) continuing to allow paraquat and similar products. This appeal is expected to be rejected and allow pending lawsuits to move forward.
- In April of 2022, 982 cases were part of the multi-district litigation (MDL) class action lawsuit. This number represents several cases that were transferred into the MDL action.
- In July 2022, the date of the first paraquat trial in the MDL was pushed back until 2023.
- As of October 2022, around 2,000 cases are part of the MDL.
The MDL paraquat case is being handled in the Southern District of Illinois.
Paraquat Lawsuit History
A lawsuit filed in federal court in California on March 19 claims that a Tennessee man developed Parkinson’s disease due to his exposure to paraquat while working on farms in California in the 1980s.
Syngenta AG, Syngenta Crop Protection, LLC and Chevron U.S.A. Inc. are named as defendants in the lawsuit.
The complaint alleges that the plaintiff was exposed to the herbicide paraquat:
- When paraquat or its equipment was cleaned, applied, loaded, or mixed;
- When the wind caused sprayed droplets of paraquat to drift to unintended places, and/or;
- When he came into contact with plants, which had been sprayed with paraquat.
The lawsuit claims that the defendants knew or should have known about the above exposure methods, as well as about paraquat being able to enter the human body by:
- Penetrating or being absorbed by the skin, mucous membranes, and other tissues, especially where tissue damage is located;
- Entering the olfactory bulb;
- Being inhaled into the lungs; or,
- Getting ingested after entering the mouth or nose.
Paraquat, once it gets into the body, according to the complaint, can then be reasonably expected to enter the brain and cause Parkinson’s disease.
Parkinson’s disease happens when oxidative stress kills dopaminergic neurons, which produce dopamine. Dopamine is critical to the brain’s motor control, and these neurons are not replaced when they die, so when too many of these neurons die, the motor symptoms of Parkinson’s disease are the result.
The complaint claims that paraquat can create or aggravate oxidative stress through its “redox cycling” properties. Paraquat, according to the lawsuit, can undergo redox cycling indefinitely once inside the brain, continuing to kill dopaminergic neurons for as long as the victim is alive.
The lawsuit makes the argument that the defendants knew or should have known that paraquat was dangerous, since science has known since 1933 about paraquat’s redox properties and has known that paraquat is toxic since the 1960s.
The lawsuit seeks to recover damages based on the defendants failing to warn about how dangerous paraquat really was on its labeling, as well as failing to provide good enough instructions as to how farm workers could protect themselves from paraquat with equipment, such as gloves and masks.
The complaint also accuses the defendants of inadequately testing the safety of paraquat, and inadequately testing how likely exposure farm workers’ exposure to paraquat was.
The lawsuit seeks punitive damages to punish the defendants for “deliberately” crafting their labeling to “mislead” the public and deter others from doing the same.
Our Lawyers Advocate for People Harmed by Defective Products
Our legal team is committed to helping clients who suffered harm from paraquat. If you entrust your case to our legal team, we will:
- Read and review your medical records
- Review your potential case at no cost
- Assess the financial value of your case
- Consult medical professionals and other experts
- Ensure your case is filed on time
We explain all your options for financial recovery and take appropriate action to meet your legal goals.
Our Team Pursues These Damages for the Victims of Paraquat Exposure
If you or a loved one suffered Parkinson’s disease (or another health condition) due to paraquat exposure, you can recover:
- Pain and suffering
- Past, present, and future healthcare expenses
- Lost income and other job-related benefits
- Childcare costs
- Emotional trauma
- Rehabilitation expenses
Living with Parkinson’s disease can transform your quality of life. You may need help eating, drinking, dressing, and performing other day-to-day tasks. Compensation in your case could account for the cost of living in an assisted living facility or hiring in-home help.
We Encourage You To Take Prompt Legal Action
There are many time-sensitive aspects surrounding your case. For instance, evidence only lasts a certain amount of time, and you reasonably want as much supporting evidence as possible. Also, the state could impose deadlines on your lawsuit’s filing.
We can manage each of your case’s deadlines and advocate for what you need.
EPA Reconsidering Re-Approval Of Paraquat
The EPA, in a September 2022 filing with the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, said they wish to re-examine paraquat’s risks before they renew the long-term approval of its use and sale in the United States. The EPA requested that the court allow paraquat to be used while the EPA reconsiders its approval, noting that those against re-approval had no objections to letting it be used for now.
Letter Urges California Regulators To Ban Paraquat
California regulators were recently urged to ban paraquat in a letter sent by The Center for Biological Diversity and Californians for Pesticide Reform. The letter notes that paraquat has been linked with Parkinson’s disease by numerous scientific studies.
Get Your Free Paraquat Case Evaluation Today
If you or someone you love was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease after being exposed to paraquat, you could join others who are suing the product’s manufacturer for damages.
Explore your financial recovery options and get a free review of your case by contacting one of our Nadrich & Cohen consultation team members. Today, we can explore your options and update you further on the ongoing paraquat lawsuits.