Those in power may act without considering or caring about the consequences that affect other people. Some corporations, organizations, and even government agencies act carelessly, causing harm to millions of people. Mass tort claims are an important legal option for people who’ve suffered injuries, financial hardship, and trauma at the hands of powerful parties.
If you or a loved one was injured by a defective product, harmful drug, or toxic substance, you’re not alone. Many plaintiffs like you may face similar hardships. A Santa Rosa mass torts lawyer from Nadrich & Cohen can determine if you have a mass torts claim and fight for compensation.
What Is a Mass Tort? Can I File One in Sonoma County?
A mass tort occurs when one party causes harm to multiple people. Multiple people may file a mass tort asserting that they suffered similar injuries from the same source. For example, consider Zantac. It was once considered the world’s best-selling drug.
Yet, it was proven to cause cancer in those who took it. So, many people are filing a mass tort against Zantac, claiming that the manufacturer failed to notify them of the drug’s risks and caused them to suffer harm.
Examples of Mass Tort Cases
Many mass torts involve medical devices and pharmaceutical drugs that cause unexpected medical consequences, including long-term organ damage and terminal illnesses. Other types of mass torts involve people being exposed to harmful substances without their knowledge and household products that turn out to be dangerous.
Some past and current mass tort cases involve(d):
- Roundup weedkiller
- Asbestos causing mesothelioma
- Inferior vena cava (IVF) filter
- Talcum powder
- Paraquat, an herbicide
Nadrich & Cohen Accident Injury Lawyers
Mass Torts Are Not the Same as Class Action Lawsuits
A mass tort involves multiple claims from individuals impacted at different levels by the same entity or product. Each plaintiff (victim) recovers a personalized amount of compensation based on their level of injury. One person could recover a few thousand dollars, while another can recover a few million.
A class action lawsuit is a group of claims against an entity for the same class (type and level) of injury or harm. Each plaintiff recovers the same amount of compensation — an equal portion of the mass settlement. So, if a class action lawsuit settles for $500 million, that amount would be equally divided amongst the involved parties.
How does a Mass Tort Claim Work?
If you’re interested in pursuing a mass tort, you can explore your options with our lawyers serving Santa Rosa. We may move forward with gathering evidence, calculating your losses, and interviewing witnesses to resolve your case. Sometimes, mass torts settle out of court, meaning that you wouldn’t have to go to trial. However, we may have to file a lawsuit and present your case before a judge to recover what you need.
How Long does a Mass Tort Lawsuit Take?
A mass tort action can take months or years to complete. There’s a lot of work that goes into a successful mass tort. Your legal team has to gather evidence, establish the at-fault party’s negligence, and prove your losses.
There are many factors that can determine how long your mass tort claim will take to settle, including:
- The value of your losses
- The other plaintiffs involved
- The availability of evidence
- The defendant’s cooperation
- Your case’s strength
Recovering Compensation for Your Mass Tort Claim in Santa Rosa
Whether you were injured by a defective medical device, toxic substance, or another product, you can recover compensation to cover your financial and non-economic damages.
Some financial damages we can help you fight for include:
- Injury-related medical costs, including emergency care, testing, surgery, medical treatment, and more
- Projected medical costs for ongoing treatment and future care needs
- Lost wages during recovery
- Reduced earning potential (if your condition hurt your earning ability)
- Wrongful death-related damages, such as funeral and burial costs, lost household income, and final healthcare costs
You can also seek compensation for these non-economic damages:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of parental or spousal support
- Loss of consortium
How Is My Compensation Determined?
The amount of compensation you may recover depends on:
- The types and severity of your injuries
- How old you were at the time of your injury
- The cost of your financial losses
- Your quality of life
- The degree of the at-fault party’s negligence
Our Santa Rosa mass torts attorneys can calculate your damages and pursue what you need.
Nadrich & Cohen Has Recovered Millions for Injured People
Nadrich & Cohen has successfully won millions of dollars for our clients, including those injured by negligent companies and their defective products. Here are some case results that speak to our dedication to our clients:
- $14.25 million for a child who developed a serious medical condition after taking an over-the-counter drug
- $5 million for a woman who developed pulmonary hypertension after taking a diet drug
- $3 million for a man who suffered an infectious virus from a defective medical device
- $1.25 million for another person who suffered pulmonary hypertension from a diet drug
While we can’t guarantee the same results, our mass torts lawyers serving Santa Rosa, California, are dedicated to helping you recover the best possible settlement.
A Mass Tort Lawyer from Our Firm in Santa Rosa Can Fight for You
Mass tort claims can be exceptionally complicated and time-consuming. Focus on recovering from your injuries and trauma. We can handle your case’s legal tasks, including:
- Gathering evidence
- Proving negligence
- Interviewing expert witnesses
- Handling all communications with legal representatives
- Filing paperwork
- Appearing in court hearings
- Negotiating your settlement
- Advising you at every stage of your case
We do all this and more on a contingency-fee basis. That means you don’t owe our team any payment upfront. We only get paid when you do.
Begin Your Free Case Review Now
Contact us today for your free case evaluation. We can answer your questions and explain your next steps. Don’t take on the burden of a mass tort claim on your own. Instead, entrust your legal matters to the team at Nadrich & Cohen.