Nadrich & Cohen is actively retaining those nationwide who have developed uterine cancer or ovarian cancer after using chemical hair straighteners.
A recent study has found that those who frequently use chemical hair straightening or relaxing products are more than twice as likely to develop uterine cancer than those who do not. A product which can cause cancer is an unreasonably dangerous product, and California law as well as other states’ laws allows for victims of unreasonably dangerous products to obtain financial compensation from the makers of the products for any harm done to them by the products.
Call our hair straightener lawyers today for a free consultation if you or a loved one was diagnosed with uterine cancer or ovarian cancer after using chemical hair relaxing or straightening products. There have already been hair straightening lawsuits filed against manufacturers such as L’Oréal. We do not charge our clients a fee unless and until we obtain financial compensation for them. In other words, you won’t owe us a penny unless we win your case.
Can I File A Hair Straightener Lawsuit?
You might be eligible to file a hair straightener lawsuit if:
- You used chemical hair relaxing or straightening products
- You later received a diagnosis of uterine cancer, endometrial cancer or ovarian cancer
Products which may qualify for a hair straightener lawsuit include but are not limited to:
Distributors and manufacturers:
- Godrej Consumer Products
- Dabur International
- Parfums de Coeur
- Soft Sheen Carson
- PDC Brands
- Strength of Nature Global
- Dark & Lovely
- Just for Me
- Olive Oil Girls
- Soft & Beautiful
- Crème of Nature
- African Pride
- ORS Olive Oil Hair Relaxer
- Hair straighteners
- Hair relaxers
- Brazilian Blow Out
If you’re not sure if you are eligible to file a lawsuit, call our hair relaxer lawyers today and we’ll discuss your legal options with you for free.
Which Chemicals Are In Hair Straighteners?
Chemical hair straightener and relaxer products can may contain potentially harmful chemicals, including:
- Phthalates: These chemicals, such as DEHP, improve fragrances’ retention and stability, and help products stick to hair. However, they have been linked with health problems such as uterine cancer and breast cancer.
- Bisphenol A (BPA): This industrial chemical is used in the manufacturing of polycarbonate plastic.
- Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde causes cancer, according to the state of California’s Proposition 65 list, and is used to produce numerous products, such as construction materials.
- Parabens: These chemicals are utilized as preservatives in pharmaceutical, food and cosmetic products.
What Can I Be Compensated For?
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with uterine cancer after using chemical hair relaxer or straightener products, you may be eligible to recover damages in a lawsuit against the manufacturer(s) of the hair straightening and/or relaxing product(s) which were used. You may be eligible for financial compensation for:
- Medical bills: You may be eligible to recover financial compensation for any past or future medical bills incurred which are related to your cancer.
- Lost wages: If your cancer has caused you to miss time from work, you may be eligible to recover compensation for any wages you were unable to earn due to missing this time from work.
- Loss of earning capacity: If your cancer has caused you to be permanently unable to work or do the job you used to do, you may be eligible to be compensated for any loss of earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: Cancer can be a painful disease, both physically and mentally, and you may be eligible to receive compensation for any physical pain and mental suffering caused by developing cancer.
- Wrongful death: If you have lost a loved one to uterine cancer, we are truly sorry for your loss. You may be eligible for financial compensation for wrongful death damages such as funeral and burial expenses, the loss of the love and companionship of your loved one, any income your loved one would have earned had they not died, any pain and suffering your loved one endured before their death, and more.
How Will I Be Compensated?
There are two possible ways you will be compensated after filing a hair straightener lawsuit:
- A settlement: A settlement is when your lawyers negotiate an agreement with the product manufacturers outside of court involving the product manufacturers compensating you financially for your losses.
- A trial verdict: If settlement negotiations fail, you may win financial compensation for your losses in court as the result of a trial verdict against the product manufacturers.
Our product liability lawyers have been representing victims of dangerous products since 1990, have recovered over $350,000,000 on behalf of our clients, and will fight to obtain all of the financial compensation you are entitled to under the law. Call us today for a free consultation.
Filing A Hair Relaxer Lawsuit
Products which are sold in California or other states should always be safe, but, unfortunately, they aren’t always safe.
Filing a hair straightener lawsuit allows you to hold hair straightener manufacturers responsible for selling dangerous products and seek financial compensation for your medical bills, pain, suffering and more.
We know how tough receiving a cancer diagnosis is on you as well as your family. Our hair straightener attorneys will handle every step of the legal process for you in order to make things as stress-free on you as we can.
The legal process in a hair straightener lawsuit will generally involve:
- Determining if you have a valid case
- Constructing a strong case through the collection of evidence such as testimony and medical records
- Ensuring your hair straightener lawsuit is filed in time to meet any deadlines
- Negotiations regarding a settlement with the hair straightener manufacturer(s)
- If negotiations fail, trying your case in court
How Long Do I Have To File A Hair Straightener Lawsuit?
There is a legal time limit to file hair relaxer lawsuits in California and nationwide. That time limit is known as a statute of limitations.
The time limit is two years in California from the date when you became aware or should have known that you had uterine cancer or ovarian cancer and that the cancer may have been caused by a hair straightening or hair relaxing product. Thus, if you were diagnosed with cancer five years ago but just discovered today that your cancer may have been caused by a hair straightening product, you have two years from today to file a lawsuit.
Product liability lawsuits are very complex and it can take a long time to build a convincing, compelling case. It is in your best interest to call our hair relaxer attorneys immediately for a free consultation so we can have as much time as possible to build a successful case for you and file it on time for you.
Grounds For A Hair Straightener Lawsuit
We intend to seek financial compensation for our clients in lawsuits against the manufacturers of hair straightening and hair relaxing products, seeking to recover damages based on legal causes of action such as strict liability – design defect, strict liability – failure to warn, and negligence.
Strict Liability – Design Defect
A product is considered to be defective by design in California if it is unreasonably dangerous when manufactured properly and used properly or in a reasonably foreseeable manner. Nothing went wrong during the manufacturing process to make it dangerous; its design itself is dangerous.
A recent study found that 4.05 percent of those who used chemical hair straightening products over four times in the previous year developed uterine cancer by age 70, compared to 1.64 percent who did not use chemical hair straightening products.
A product which can cause cancer when it is made and used properly is an unreasonably dangerous product, and thus defective by design.
California and other states’ laws allows for those who have been harmed by defective products to recover financial compensation for that harm and any financial losses related to that harm.
Strict Liability – Failure To Warn
California and other states’ laws allows for victims of dangerous products to obtain financial compensation for any harm done to them by those products when the products’ manufacturers knew or should have known their products were dangerous but failed to warn about this danger.
Manufacturers of products sold in California and other states have a duty to stay aware of current scientific knowledge which relates to the safety of their products. When current scientific knowledge shows that a product is dangerous, yet the product’s manufacturer remains unaware of the scientific knowledge, courts will interpret this as an example where the manufacturer should have known their product was dangerous.
Science, as a result of several studies, has known for years that the ingredients in chemical hair straighteners and hair relaxers, specifically phthalates and their metabolites, have been linked with cancer: Study 1 – Study 2 – Study 3 – Study 4 – Study 5
Many hair straighteners contain a particular phthalate known as DI-2-Ethylhexylphthalate (DEHP). According to the CDC:
- DEHP is classified by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as reasonably anticipated to be carcinogenic in humans
- DEHP is classified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as probably carcinogenic in humans
- DEHP is classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer as a possible human carcinogen
We intend to hold the manufacturers of chemical hair relaxing and hair straightening products accountable for failing to warn that their products could cause cancer despite their products having been linked by science to cancer for years.
Negligence is a failure to be reasonably careful for the sake of preventing harm. Acting can be negligent, as can be failing to act. It is negligent to do what a reasonably careful entity wouldn’t do. It is negligent to fail to do what a reasonably careful entity would do.
California law and the laws in other states allow for those harmed by negligent parties to recover financial compensation for that harm from them.
We intend to hold the manufacturers of chemical hair straightening and relaxing products responsible for negligently:
- Failing to warn their products could cause cancer even though they knew or should have known about this danger
- Failing to use reasonable care in the design of their products
- Failing to test their products adequately in order to determine the safety of using them
- Failing to remove the products from the marketplace when they knew or should have known they were dangerous
- Representing to the public that their products were safe when they were not
What Are The Symptoms Of Uterine Cancer?
The symptoms of uterine cancer, according to the CDC, include:
- Vaginal bleeding or discharge which isn’t normal for you
- Vaginal bleeding that is abnormally heavy
- Vaginal bleeding which occurs at an abnormal time, such as between periods or after menopause
- Pressure or pain in the pelvis
How Much Do Chemical Hair Straightener Lawyers Cost?
Nadrich & Cohen are representing victims of chemical hair straighteners and relaxers on a contingency fee basis. This means that the only fee we charge is a percentage of any recovery we obtain for our clients, and we do not charge any fee if we don’t obtain a recovery.
We never charge an upfront fee and you will never owe us anything out of your own pocket, so you have nothing to lose by calling us today for a free legal consultation.
Hair Straightener Lawsuit Update
Plaintiff lawyers, in December 2022, filed a motion establishing a multidistrict litigation regarding chemical hair straighteners and hair relaxers. The MDL’s initial oral hearing will take place on January 26, 2023.
Hair Straightener Lawyers
If you intend to hold manufacturers of chemical hair straightening and relaxing products responsible for your uterine cancer or ovarian cancer, you’ll need lawyers by your side who have been dealing with product liability law for decades, lawyers like Nadrich & Cohen. We have decades of experience in successfully obtaining financial compensation for the victims of defective products such as Paraquat, AFFF firefighting foam and Zantac.
Because we have been handling product liability cases for decades, we know all of the ins and outs of proving that the products that harmed our clients are defective, and that the manufacturers of the products that harmed our clients were negligent.
If you or a loved one was diagnosed with uterine cancer after using chemical hair straightener or relaxer products, call us today for a free consultation so we can start the process of obtaining the financial compensation and justice that you deserve.