Nadrich & Cohen Accident Injury Lawyers is currently representing family members whose loved one died while in the care of a California Drug & Alcohol Treatment Facility. As California rehabilitation negligence attorneys we are committed to obtaining justice for personal injury and/or death rehab victims.
There are over 1,000 registered rehab centers in Southern California: over 300 in Orange County, many in San Bernardino County, Riverside County and Los Angeles County. This does not include unlicensed “sober living homes.”
Annually, over 500 complaints are filed in California concerning rehab facility care. Approximately 1 patient dies every two weeks while in a California rehab facility.
Contact our California rehab negligence lawyers for assistance, if your loved one died in and inpatient drug and alcohol treatment facility. We promise we will fight hard for you and give your case the individual attention it deserves.
We have six offices throughout the state and multiple meeting locations to consult with you. We handle cases throughout California and never collect a fee for our services unless a recovery is made. That is our No Fee Promise.
Call 800-718-4658 now for help.
California Lawyers Handling Inpatient Treatment Center Deaths
Patients stay in an inpatient treatment facility for the duration of their substance abuse treatment. Typically, a stay in an inpatient rehab facility is between 7 and 30 days, depending on the severity of the addiction.
Stages Of Inpatient Treatment For Alcohol & Drug Abuse
- Detoxification: removing the addictive substance from the body. Between 2012 and 2017, 140 people died during the detoxification process at California rehab facilities.
- Rehab: Rehabilitation gets to the primary cause of a patient’s substance abuse. The goal is to change the patients mindset. Rehab can include group and individual therapy sessions and more.
- Aftercare: Support which reinforces the rehabilitation progress and continues with coping mechanisms.
Rehab Center Negligence In California
Most rehab lawsuits result from some facility negligence during the detoxification process. A detoxing patient is extremely vulnerable, both physically and emotionally, and require medical and psychological supervision. During the initial detox treatment phase, patients can be in danger at any time.
Rehabilitation center negligence occurs when the rehab staff fails to give patients an adequate level of care. Failures can include failure to provide proper medication, inadequate supervision, failure to administer a full psychological exam on entrance to make sure that the patient does not have suicidal tendencies, failure to maintain sufficient doctors and nurses on site to attend to patient’s care, and failure to maintain safe premises.
California Laws Regulating Rehab Facilities
The Elder Abuse and Dependent Adult Civil Protection Act includes guidelines for rehab centers. This Act considers people living in rehab centers to be “dependent adults.”
The law provides that dependent adults receiving treatment should not be subject to:
- Abandonment, neglect, abuse or any other conduct which can cause mental or physical harm.
- A staff member or caregiver withholding services or goods which are necessary to avoid mental or physical harm.
It is negligence to withhold services necessary for safe detoxification. Patients require the best care, supervision and support to get through this difficult time. If you lost a loved one who was in a California inpatient treatment facility at the time of death, contact our office today for a free, confidential consultation. Call us now at 1-800-718-4658 to discuss your case.
Types Of Rehab Facility Negligence:
Most of the negligence in California rehab centers include:
1.Unsafe environment: Rehab centers must be safe. They must be hygienic and clean. Steps must be taken to minimize risks, including hostile patient interactions and slip and fall accidents. Patients with a tendency towards self-harm or harming others need to be kept away from dangerous objects.
2. Inadequate patient evaluation: Rehab staff need to be keenly aware of the situation and the personal state of patients who check in so they can give them the necessary treatment and care. Failing to do is negligent and dangerous. Many cases occur when one resident is assaulted by a roommate or another resident.
3. Unsuitable staff: A Rehab center staff needs to be properly vetted, trained and qualified if the rehab center’s environment is going to be caring and safe.
4. Abuse: People in rehab centers can be exposed to abuse, including mental, physical and sexual abuse. Assisted living facilities have long had a problem with nursing home abuse. These same issues apply to rehab abuse cases. Rehab center abuse can cause emotional and physical distress to patients.
5. Inadequate supervision: Patients in rehab centers are quite vulnerable and even suicidal. Drug and alcohol rehab centers must give their patients adequate supervision and support for the sake of safety.
California Narconon Lawsuits
Narconon is a controversial organization running dozens of residential rehab facilities worldwide. It is connected with the Church of Scientology. The Narconon method is based on the theories of Scientology’s founder L. Ron Hubbard. The method is based on flushing out traces of an addictive drug from the body.
Experts say this method isn’t based on scientific fact, can be unsafe and has no research backing it as being effective.
Inspectors have cited many Narconon centers in California. The violations have included not giving patients adequate bedding, having alcohol on-site and giving patients unauthorized medication. Numerous publicized deaths have occurred at Narconon centers.
Nadrich & Cohen Accident Injury Lawyers has proven itself to be a top-tier California plaintiffs’ law firm since 1990. Insurance companies and corporations know that we mean business. Our attorneys have decades of experience seeking justice for clients one case at a time. We’ve recovered over $350 million on behalf of our clients.
Why Our California Rehab Facility Lawyers Are The Right Choice
Nadrich & Cohen Accident Injury Lawyers is committed to providing only the best representation with a compassionate touch. We know how sensitive the subjects of rehab and addiction can be and we know these subjects deeply impact individuals and families.
There is no upfront cost for our services. We only charge a fee for our services if a recovery is made. You will not be charged if we do not obtain a recovery.
Call Nadrich & Cohen Accident Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation at 800-718-4658. You can also use our our live chat or complete the free consultation request form on this page.