Santa Rosa, California is a popular destination for travelers who enjoy the arts and wine tasting. Known for its wineries, with more than 300 available in the area, visitors can go on a tour of California’s infamous Wine Country and enjoy the day drinking on vacation. Once the fun is over, many people call for a Lyft ride to take them home safely without putting themselves or other road users in danger.
However, what happens when the safe ride home gets you into an accident? If you or a loved one was injured in a Lyft accident while visiting the Bay Area, you may qualify to receive compensation. A Santa Rosa Lyft accident lawyer from Nadrich & Cohen can help you seek fair compensation for your damages. We can represent your case and negotiate with the rideshare company on your behalf.
When Lyft Is Liable for Vehicle Accidents Involving Its Drivers
Lyft, along with other rideshare companies, is liable when a rideshare driver is actively logged into the app, as this is the only method to “prove” that the driver was working at the time of the accident. However, there are variations to these terms which can affect how much coverage you might receive from Lyft should you get injured in an accident involving one of its drivers.
The following are three scenarios that generally illustrate where Lyft’s liability falls:
1.) When the Driver Is Logged Out of the App
If the Lyft driver was not actively logged in to the Lyft app, then their personal auto insurance would have to cover the accident. All Lyft drivers, upon being employed by the rideshare company, must carry their own auto insurance in the event they get into an accident outside of their working hours. The rideshare company will not cover accidents that do not involve its services.
Regarding your case, this does not mean you cannot pursue compensation. It only means Lyft may not be held liable for the rideshare driver’s accident. You would still be able to file a claim with the driver’s insurer.
Nadrich & Cohen Accident Injury Lawyers
2.) When the Driver Is Logged in to the App Waiting for a Ride Request
If the driver is logged into the Lyft app but still waiting for a ride request, Lyft will provide coverage if the driver’s own auto insurance will not cover the accident. This may apply to scenarios where the rideshare driver is:
- Parked and waiting for a ride request
- Roaming a city and waiting for a ride request
- In a car loop, waiting for ride requests
Lyft’s coverage for accidents in this case will abide by California’s state insurance requirements.
3.) When the Driver Is Logged in to the App Actively Giving a Ride
If the driver was logged in to the app and actively performing rideshare duties, Lyft will provide coverage for the accident based on state insurance requirements. Scenarios that fall under this category include when the rideshare driver:
- Picks up a passenger
- Drops off a passenger
- Takes the passenger to their destination
For evidence purposes, a Santa Rosa Lyft accident lawyer may request your Lyft history to determine whether the driver was logged in while providing services to you or someone else at the time of the accident.
What Is Lyft’s Policy Coverage for Vehicle Accidents?
All rideshare companies must abide by California Code PUC § 2-8-7, which sets insurance requirements and other regulations for Transportation Network Companies (TNCs). These insurance requirements differ from the general policy limits listed on Lyft’s website.
As such, if you were injured in an accident, Lyft may be mandated to comply with the following requirements:
- $50,000 in bodily injury coverage per person, including death
- $100,000 in bodily injury coverage per accident, including death
- $30,000 in property damage coverage
- $1,000,000 in third-party auto liability coverage
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage
- Contingent comprehensive and collision coverage ($2,500 deductible)
If you decide to hire a lawyer, they will likely go over policy terms to confirm whether the rideshare company is complying with state law.
Damages You Could Recover in a Lyft Accident Case
Depending on the nature of your case, you may qualify to receive compensation for the following types of damages:
- Medical care expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage costs
- Emotional distress
- Permanent disability
- Current and future loss of income
- Physical disfigurement
- Reduced earning potential
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
This is not a comprehensive list of all the damages you may be able to claim in your case.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help Your Case
If you decide to reach out to a Santa Rosa Lyft accident lawyer for help, they will likely be able to assist you by offering to:
- Keep you updated on your case
- Organize an investigation into your accident to retrieve evidence and get more information not written in the official accident report
- Read relevant insurance policies to identify whether it might be more viable to file a lawsuit to fight for compensation
- Handle communications with the insurance company, rideshare company and the court so that your case remains protected
- Provide legal representation during out-of-court negotiation meetings and/or trial
- Offer legal counsel when you want help making decisions for your case
- Submit your lawsuit by California’s statutory deadline as written in CCP § 335.1
Contact Nadrich & Cohen to Discuss Your Case
At Nadrich & Cohen, we hold rideshare companies accountable for their drivers’ actions when servicing the public. If you were in an accident involving a Lyft vehicle, whether you were riding the Lyft as a passenger or were in another vehicle that got hit by one, you may be eligible to claim compensation for your damages.
A Santa Rosa Lyft accident lawyer from our team can organize your case against the rideshare company, then represent your case until it settles. We aim to be transparent in our legal representation so feel free to ask us any questions, as we are more than happy to explain the legal process to you. Contact Nadrich & Cohen today to schedule a free no-obligation case evaluation to learn more about our services in full.