Dog bite victims may have severe injuries and deserve compensation from the dog’s owner. However, recovering compensation might not be simple. It may be best to leave this to a lawyer from our firm.
In your case (or your loved one’s case), your lawyer can evaluate your damages, pursue compensation for you, and handle negotiations while you focus on your recovery. In a complimentary case review, we’ll tell you whether you may have a case and what a Hayward dog bite lawyer will do for you.
Can I Get Compensation for a Dog Bite in California?
Some states have a “one bite rule,” meaning a dog’s owner is not liable for injuries their dog causes unless the dog has shown vicious behavior or bitten someone at least once before.
However, in California, CIV § 3342 states that dog owners are liable for any injuries their animal causes, “regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness.” So, if a dog bit you while you were in a public place or lawfully on private property, even if the dog had never attacked anyone before, you may have a legal case against the dog’s owner.
You can work with a personal injury lawyer from our firm to pursue compensation from the dog owner. The damages you could pursue include:
- The cost of the medical treatment for your injuries
- The cost of any medical devices you may need, like crutches
- Lost income if your injuries prevent you from earning wages
- Reduced earning potential if your injuries prevent you from doing the same work
- The pain and suffering you’ve experienced
- Your mental anguish if the event was traumatic for you
Nadrich & Cohen Accident Injury Lawyers
You may have a wrongful death case if you lost a family member due to a dog attack. In this case, you or a lawyer could pursue wrongful death damages, such as:
- Your loss of companionship
- Your children’s loss of love and support
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- The costs of a funeral and cremation/burial
The Value of Your Case
It can be difficult to valuate your damages by yourself. Your non-financial, intangible damages, like your physical pain, can be especially difficult to quantify.
You can leave the valuation of your damages to one of our firm’s Hayward dog bite attorneys. Your attorney will have various methods for valuating your damages, including your pain and suffering, and determining the overall value of your case.
What Can a Lawyer Do for You in a Dog Bite Case?
To recover damages for you, your lawyer will have several responsibilities, such as:
- Investigating your incident: Your lawyer can speak with the police about your dog bite incident and seek evidence of your injuries. This evidence could include the police report, medical records, and photos of your injuries.
- Proving your damages: Your attorney can prove how your dog bite injuries have affected your life with testimonies from medical experts or your loved ones.
- Protecting you from a claim about your negligence: The other party’s lawyer or insurer may claim you were partially at fault in your case, such as by provoking the dog. Your lawyer can protect you from such an accusation.
Your Hayward Dog Bite Lawyer Can Litigate Your Case
Once your lawyer has built a strong case for you, your lawyer will negotiate with the insurer and try to settle your case. However, negotiations can be tricky, especially if an insurer tries to deflect blame or diminish the claimant’s damages. If the insurer does anything like that, your lawyer can litigate your case, taking it to court.
Even the threat of litigation may be enough to convince an insurer to settle. However, your lawyer won’t hesitate to follow through on the litigation if it will help you recover your due damages.
How Long Does a Dog Bite Claim Take in California?
Settling a claim can take a few weeks, a few months, or longer. Resolving a case in court may take more time. However, your lawyer will do everything they can to keep your case progressing.
Your lawyer can aim to meet the filing deadline for a personal injury lawsuit. In California, according to CCP § 335.1, this deadline is two years from the date of an injury. The filing deadline for a wrongful death suit is two years from the date of the deceased individual’s loss of life.
About Our Hayward Dog Bite Attorneys
Our personal injury attorneys have been taking on dog bite cases like yours and many other personal injury cases in California for decades. Over the years, we’ve helped our clients recover more than $350 million in damages, so our cases have been quite successful.
We’re confident we can help you achieve a fair outcome in your case. If your Hayward dog bite attorney achieves a fair outcome and recovers compensation for you, only then will you pay your lawyer. This is called a contingency arrangement, and all of our lawyers can operate on this basis.
Reach Out to Nadrich & Cohen to Start Working With a Dog Bite Lawyer in Hayward
If you believe you have a dog bite case, contact our firm. During a free, no-obligation consultation, we’ll evaluate your case and explain what one of our dog bite lawyers will do for you. If you decide to hire one of our attorneys, you can rely on them to handle your legal case while you focus on recovering from your incident.
For your free consultation with Nadrich & Cohen, contact us today.