Paraquat is a highly toxic chemical that people use as an herbicide. It is so toxic that many countries throughout much of the world have banned it. The herbicide is even too dangerous for China, which has recently enacted a ban. Nonetheless, the Chinese company that owns the rights to paraquat continues to sell the dangerous product in the United States, and our regulators allow it to happen.
Study after study has shown a high correlation between paraquat exposure and Parkinson’s disease. Now, research is beginning to show the reasons why.
If you or a loved one was exposed to paraquat and were diagnosed with Parkinson’s, you can take legal action to recover compensation. The Modesto paraquat attorneys at Nadrich & Cohen are accepting cases seeking damages for Parkinson’s disease caused by paraquat. We want to discuss your claim with you. We have hundreds of cases.
We’ve won millions for people dealing with the aftermath of dangerous products like paraquat, and we’re ready to fight for you. Call us today to tell us what happened to you and allow us to evaluate your case for free.
Paraquat Is Still Available to Purchase in the U.S. Despite Its Dangers
Paraquat has been around since the early 1960s. Many companies have owned the rights to manufacture and distribute the herbicide. Right now, Chinese-owned Syngenta manufactures paraquat. Syngenta remains free to sell paraquat in the United States, and many customers continue to buy and use it despite the known dangers.
This herbicide is one of the deadliest toxins on the market. Farmworkers must wear extensive protective equipment to avoid contact with paraquat. They can be seriously injured, even if it only touches their skin.
Large Farms Use Paraquat, and It Has Consequences
Farmers widely use paraquat on crops, including:
These crops are often grown on medium-sized and large commercial farms. The owners of these farms apply large amounts of these toxins to the ground. There is little doubt that paraquat is effective, and this is the reason why it is still on the market. However, the people who apply the deadly chemical, and those in the area, are at risk.
It seems inconceivable that people release such a deadly toxin into the environment, and people suffer side effects from the chemicals. Over the past decade or so, the exact dangers of paraquat have become glaringly obvious from the conclusions of many researchers.
Parkinson’s Disease From Paraquat Exposure
Nadrich & Cohen Accident Injury Lawyers
One study after the next has reached the same conclusion: paraquat raises the risk that people exposed to it will develop Parkinson’s disease. Where these studies differ is in the exact degree of additional risk.
Parkinson’s disease is a degenerative neurological condition. While the disease is not necessarily fatal, it will rob the patient of their quality of life over time.
Symptoms of Parkinson’s disease include:
- Muscle rigidity
- Difficulty speaking
- Slow movement
- Loss of balance
- Difficulty walking
Environmental Factors Often Cause Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease occurs when nerve damage in the brain causes dopamine to decline. Dopamine is a critical neurotransmitter that the brain needs to transmit messages throughout the brain and the central nervous system. As dopamine levels drop, the person will begin to show symptoms of Parkinson’s.
In most cases, Parkinson’s disease does not simply happen on its own. Instead, the person’s environment has everything to do with the development of the disease. It is often environmental toxins that cause nerve cell damage in the brain that impacts dopamine.
Research has shown that Parkinson’s disease can result from exposure to:
- Polychlorinated biphenyls
- Heavy metals
Even the area in which a person lives can raise their risk of Parkinson’s, especially when they live near an industrial area or a large-scale farm. Not all paraquat lawsuits are filed by farmworkers. Some cases come from neighbors who are sickened by inhaling paraquat in the air.
Recently, medical organizations have added herbicides to the list of hazardous substances shown to cause Parkinson’s. The same properties that make paraquat toxic to the weeds that it kills also make it hazardous to the brain. Paraquat works to create oxidative stress. Unfortunately, that is not limited to the plants to which it is applied. This stress also interferes with and kills dopaminergic neurons.
The Research Shows the Connection Between Paraquat and Parkinson’s
The idea that paraquat and Parkinson’s disease are connected has been around since the mid-1980s. Researchers began to quantify the exact impact that paraquat has on the rate of Parkinson’s disease.
Numerous studies between 2006 and 2012 documented the increased odds of developing Parkinson’s after exposure to paraquat. One more recent study found that people exposed to paraquat had six times the likelihood of developing Parkinson’s than the average person.
A researcher from the University of Guelph zeroed in on why paraquat can cause Parkinson’s. The study found that:
- People exposed to paraquat had a 250 percent greater chance of developing Parkinson’s disease than the average person.
- Researchers took dopamine-producing neurons and exposed them to agrichemicals. The result was the chemical prevented the neurons from moving to where they needed to go inside the cells, depleting them of energy.
- Exposure to paraquat mimics the effects of mutations known to cause Parkinson’s disease.
The EPA Still Refuses to Ban Paraquat
Even though the rest of the world is acutely aware of the dangers of paraquat, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) continues to dig in its heels and pretend that everything is okay. In 2019, the EPA reviewed paraquat’s registration once again.
This would have been the perfect time to pull the product from the market, especially in light of the mounting evidence of paraquat’s dangers. Inexplicably, this is not what the EPA did in renewing its registration. This is one more example of the EPA deliberately ignoring studies (another example was their refusal to take strong action against Roundup). The EPA’s re-approval of paraquat’s use came despite strong advocacy from the Parkinson’s Foundation, which sought to bar paraquat.
Paraquat is not just harmful to the farmworkers who must dispense the substance or work around it. Once paraquat has been applied to the ground, it does not stay in one place. All it takes is gusts of wind to spread the substance into the air. Then, the paraquat particles land in surrounding areas and sicken those who live near the farm. These neighbors have absolutely nothing to do with the farm and have no control over the substances that pollute their air.
Paraquat Lawsuits Seek Financial Compensation
The number of paraquat lawsuits is growing. It takes time after the initial exposure to paraquat for a victim to develop symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. The disease is caused by developments in the brain over time. As a result, people who were exposed years ago are now falling ill and filing lawsuits.
There are numerous allegations contained in the lawsuits against the defendants. These lawsuits have named Syngenta and Chevron as defendants.
The lawsuits allege:
- Paraquat’s design made it likely that people will inhale it when working on a farm and in nearby areas. In addition, the design made it likely that paraquat can cause neurological damage when someone inhales it.
- The defendants knew or should have known that people can inhale paraquat and suffer injuries, yet they failed to warn the public of the dangers. This failure is even more glaring considering that there have been dozens of research studies quantifying the added risk of Parkinson’s disease from paraquat exposure.
- The defendants were negligent in designing, packaging, and marketing paraquat.
Lawyers have now consolidated paraquat cases into multidistrict litigation. The cases are in federal court in the Southern District of Illinois. As of now, the first cases are due to go to trial in November 2022. This will give the defendants a good idea if they need to settle the rest of the cases against them. This is what usually happens if the defendant loses the first bellwether case.
How Much Is Your Paraquat Lawsuit Worth?
Like any product liability case, we often receive questions about how much a paraquat case is worth. Plaintiffs understandably want to know how much money they can expect, especially since Parkinson’s is a difficult disease that only gets worse over time.
The truth is that Parkinson’s disease can be a very expensive ailment to treat. Various treatments can slow the progression of the disease, but these cost quite a bit of money.
If you win or settle a paraquat claim, you may expect payment for:
- Medical costs
- Lost wages if your disease means you cannot work
- Pain and suffering and lost quality of your life
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium for a spouse who loses their partner
The psychological effects of Parkinson’s disease are considerable. Patients must live knowing they cannot do what they used to, and the degeneration slowly occurs. People know they will never be the same again, and they will likely be worse off as time progresses. This may cause anxiety and depression.
Given the high costs associated with Parkinson’s disease, you deserve to have an attorney fight for fair compensation.
You Can Hire a Paraquat Lawyer for Your Case
As in most product liability lawsuits, the defendants have not shown any intention to settle the case, and they are doing everything that they can to fight the claims against them. Product liability cases are very technical, and they rely on scientific and medical evidence to prove claims.
Not only do you need to prove liability, but you must also secure fair compensation for your injuries. Even if the case settles, it is not the end of your legal matter. You must still persuade the claims administrator of your damages. You may even decide not to accept a settlement and continue to pursue your own case.
The professional advice of a product liability attorney from Nadrich & Cohen is critical. Remember, we already have hundreds of Paraquat cases, and this experience may be invaluable as we handle your case.
Frequently Asked Questions in a Modesto Paraquat Case
Who Can File a Paraquat Lawsuit?
Those who may file a paraquat lawsuit include:
- Trained applicators who handled the herbicide
- People who live or lived near a farm
- Farmworkers who were working near the applied product
How Long Will My Paraquat Case Take?
The initial cases are not due to go to trial until November 2022. As a result, any resolution of your case can take two years or more. We advise being patient and waiting for the legal result.
Do I Need to Pay Money Out of Pocket for a Paraquat Lawyer?
No. Our paraquat lawyers will not ask you for a retainer, nor will they send you bills for their time on an hourly basis during the case.
Why Should I Choose Nadrich & Cohen to Lead My Paraquat Case in Modesto?
Your decision to hire an attorney is the first step. Next, you must decide which law firm to hire, and we advise that you choose Nadrich & Cohen. Clients choose us for their paraquat cases (in Modesto and elsewhere) because:
- We are handling many paraquat cases, meaning that we have an in-depth understanding of the technical and legal issues your case involves.
- Other law firms serving Modesto may not have the same degree of knowledge around paraquat cases that we have.
- Our firm has the financial resources and personnel to manage complex paraquat cases like yours.
- Our firm will handle every step of your legal case while you focus on maintaining your health or helping a loved one with Parkinson’s disease.
Whenever you choose a law firm, you must consider whether it has relevant experience with your case type. Our background in handling paraquat cases for victims in California may be reason alone to hire Nadrich & Cohen.
What Do Former Clients Say About Working With Nadrich & Cohen?
When you choose a lawyer to handle your paraquat lawsuit, you want to make the right decision. You should consider every available piece of information about a given firm, including client testimonials for Nadrich & Cohen:
- “The attorneys and paralegals never rushed to get me off the phone. They took their time to answer questions and address all of my concerns. That really meant a lot to me and made me feel secure in my decision to hire them to represent me and my family.” – Jeremy K., former client
- “They were actually my second choice. I’d hired another TV law firm to handle my car accident case, but my calls weren’t returned. So, I hired Nadrich & Cohen instead and the difference was unbelievable. My calls were returned within 24 hours.” – M. Klein, former client
- “They made is very easy to hire them. I called for a free consultation and had them send me docusign paperwork. I hired them in less than an hour after my first conversation with the attorney.” – Tom S., former client
A paraquat-related lawsuit can be a significant, time-consuming ordeal. You deserve a law firm that you know will work hard for you, stay on top of your case, and fight for the financial recovery you deserve. Our client testimonials indicate that Nadrich & Cohen will do each of these things for you.
Can I Handle My Modesto Paraquat Lawsuit Without a Lawyer?
You generally have a right to represent yourself, but this decision may come with serious risks. Deciding to represent yourself in your Modesto paraquat lawsuit may:
- Put immense strain on your time, as you may be stretched thin between your legal case, health issues, and obligations to loved ones
- Present you with exorbitant lawsuit-related costs, which you may have to pay out of your own pocket
- Compromise the quality of your case, as your lack of legal experience may make it difficult for you to mount an effective lawsuit
Why not take advantage of the experience and resources that Nadrich & Cohen offers? We want to help you and answer your questions; all you have to do is call.
Call a Modesto Paraquat Law Attorney Today
If you were exposed to paraquat and diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, you must act now to file a claim. You may have a limited amount of time to bring a product liability lawsuit. Your first move should be to contact a product liability attorney to handle your case.
We can help. Call the attorneys at Nadrich & Cohen today to pursue financial compensation for your Parkinson’s disease. We will handle your case on a contingency basis, meaning that you owe us nothing unless you win.