Anyone who has suffered a serious injury knows how overwhelming it can be to manage the financial, emotional and physical worries that come with it. Those worries can be amplified if you were injured on someone else’s property. After all, how do you get back the money you’ve sunk into recovery when you’re not sure who is responsible?
In California, property owners and occupants are legally obligated to keep their premises reasonably safe for guests and visitors. If you are injured on someone else’s property, you can seek compensation for your losses with one of our personal injury lawyers. Our Palm Desert premises liability lawyer at Nadrich & Cohen can help you recover your losses and lessen your worries.
A Palm Desert Premises Liability Lawyer Can Help You Seek These Damages
In a premises liability case, the injured party can pursue economic and non-economic damages for losses they accrued after their injury.
Economic damages refer to direct financial losses such:
- Hospital visits, including emergency room and ongoing care
- Medications and equipment like wheelchairs, slings and crutches
- Home modification and assistive device costs
- Loss of current and future income
- Property damages
Non-economic damages aren’t financial in nature and may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of activities
- Emotional anguish
- Reputational damage
- Scarring or disfigurement
Each case is unique, so don’t worry if you don’t see losses that fit your situation. Our attorney can interview you to learn how the incident affected your life to ensure you receive appropriate compensation.
How Will My Lawyer Prove Liability?
In California, injuries that occur on someone else’s property must have been caused by the owner or manager’s negligence. Under California Civil Code 1714(a), visitors are protected from both the owner’s willful negligence or general lack of care for a property that may result in an injury.
To establish negligence in premises liability cases, your lawyer will establish:
- Who owns or controls the property
- The property owner or manager neglected to care for the property, ignored a visible danger, or failed to warn you of a danger
- You were injured as a result of their action or inaction
- You experienced losses from your injury
In legal terms, property owners owe visitors an ordinary duty of care. As such, property owners must keep their premises in a reasonably safe condition. They are expected to repair any hazardous conditions and warn visitors of dangers.
How Property Owners May Shirk Their Duty of Care
- They had prior knowledge of a hazard and the time to fix it, but they did not.
- A dangerous situation was present for long enough that they would have known of the hazard had they maintained their property.
- The property owner did not address the dangerous condition in full.
- They were unable to address the hazard immediately but did not post warning signs.
Our Palm Desert premises liability attorney can help identify the liable party or parties and secure evidence for your case. Whether they willfully neglected their duty of care or simply did not manage their property well, you should not have to suffer the consequences.
Our Premises Liability Attorney in Palm Desert Will Identify Liable Parties
In most premises liability cases, the property owner or occupant will be responsible for injuries and other losses to guests or patrons. But, other third parties may also share some of the liability. These parties may include:
- Security staff
- Defective parts manufacturers
- Property managers
In order to receive compensation for your losses, it is important that the appropriate parties are held accountable. A lawyer from our firm can help to assess your accident and determine the best next steps for your situation.
How Our Palm Desert Premises Liability Attorney Can Benefit Your Case
Premises liability laws and statutes are often difficult for people who aren’t legal professionals to understand. A lawyer can help you traverse legal challenges and support you throughout your case. If you choose to retain the services of Nadrich & Cohen, here are some ways we may help:
- Review the facts and circumstances of your case to assess a fair settlement value
- Investigate your case to determine who is responsible for your injuries
- Collect evidence that demonstrates the property owner’s or another party’s liability
- Track filing deadlines and complete required paperwork
- Negotiate an appropriate settlement offer from the liable insurance company
- Litigate your case, if your lawyer deems it necessary
Each case is different. Your lawyer may advise you to take a unique approach. No matter which path they choose, their focus is on winning you the compensation you deserve.
What Are Common Causes of Injuries in Premises Liability Cases?
There are limitless potential causes for injuries in premises liability cases. However, there are some common causes to look out for, including:
- Wet floors, resulting in slip and fall accidents
- Broken staircases
- Staircases that don’t meet regulation
- Uneven flooring
- Poor lighting
- Tripping obstacles like rugs or cords
- Missing handrails
- Faulty elevators
- Broken asphalt or sidewalks
- Uncovered swimming pools
- Untended or neglected dogs resulting in dog bites
Regardless of the cause, your Palm Desert premises liability lawyer can help you prove that the owner or property manager is liable for your injuries.
Call Today to See How a Premises Liability Attorney Can Help You
You’ve got a lot to handle as someone who is recovering from an injury. Hiring an attorney from Nadrich & Cohen can take filing procedures off your list of worries. If you are struggling to keep up with expenses after your injury, you may be hesitating to pay for a lawyer. However, you won’t have to pay us a dime unless we win.
Call us today for a free consultation with a member of our team.